Has it been two weeks since I posted? Wow! Things have been uber busy at work. I have been on the road this past week and will return to it Wednesday. I have not even had time to get excited … Continue reading
Greetings! This post is a bit overdue, but I have been busy doing non-hair things (sigh!!!)
So I have had several hair updates this past week:
1. I’M GETTING MY HAIR COLORED! – That’s the most exciting news of all! r. Lately, my hair just hasn’t been giving me life. It’s nice, but I feel that I am missing some long-lost pizzaz which only some color can bring! I used to be the queen of color back in college! It has been almost 5 years since I have had any type of color (semi-, permanent, demi-) in my hair because of the damage that was done when I wasn’t taking care of my hair.
I have been toying with the idea of coloring the top 1/3 of my hair. I have been too chicken to do it, but I researched some coloring techniques and decided to go with the Redken Shades EQ semi-permanent color. It won’t lift my hair, but it will add a touch of color and gloss to the area I choose to color. Since the area is already lightened in some areas, I think it will look good! I am going to do a honey brown and see how that works! I am getting it done tomorrow at Ulta along with a blow-out. This is a treat for all my hard work! Sarah will be doing it, so I am eager to see the end result!
2. I DID A TRIM! – Literally … I did the trim. It wasn’t due to breakage or anything, but Monday evening, I was M&Sing and said to myself: “Hmmm … I could lose the last 1/2 inch of these ends for my fresh blowout” so I went to the freezer where I keep my shears and did it. I cut the bottom layers even and now the V-shaped hair that I have been rocking for so long is now a U! I also wanted to trim the bottom layer evenly. This relaxer cycle I knew that I wanted to even things up a bit, so I figured now is as good a time as any. So now I am back to the area between BSB and BSL!
This photo makes it seem like the left side has see-through ends compared to the right. The reason for this is that the right side has more hair down that the left side, giving that illusion. (Ugh! I hate see-through ends!)
Photo after Nathan finger combed hair … so again the ends look a bit wonky.
3. I am deferring my relaxer until June 1st – Since I am going to go to NC in June, I thought that I would just have Kim do it when I was 14 weeks post. I am just not comfortable relaxing my hair 10 weeks post. I don’t think that I will have enough new growth to even justify it (mind you, I am used to stretching 12 weeks or more, even when I wasn’t on a HHJ). I will just go to Jeanne and get a roller set and deep conditioning while in Hawaii.
4. I have been wearing my hair out! – I wear my hair out an average of 2.5 days a week (hahha!) I am really at the point where I enjoy my hair and why not show off the fruits of my labor?
Yesterday I washed my hair. I do not do posts on Wash Days every week, as I pretty much do the same thing, sans using a different conditioner or so. I pretty much did what I did last week, but added some KeraPro to my deep conditioning routine.
I wanted to use this post to discuss some of my hair thoughts and observations. Here goes (in no particular order):
1. My ends do not break nearly as much now that I am rollersetting – I made this observation in the summer, but it still did not stop me from air drying my hair majority of my last relaxer stretch. Now when I M&S my hair, there are very few ends that break (if any), even in the worst quadrant of my hair. I must say that the lack of breaking ends is totally worth me spending an extra 2.5 hours each week rolling and setting my hair.
2. The honey and kukui nut pre-poo for lightening my hair – I noticed today that my hair looks a bit lighter (in the light). There is some reddish brown coloring going on. I continue to utilize this pre-poo each week, as I also notice that my hair is much silkier.
3. Now that I am using the big rollers, I have no desire to flat iron – The 2 1/2 rollers are doing well on my hair. I still use the smaller ones as well, but for the most part, black and gray rollers are my go-tos. I also decided that my next relaxer in Hawaii, I will not get my hair flat ironed. I remembered that while Jeanne got my hair good and straight, she used two types of heating tools to do it: a marcel oven curling iron to smooth and a flat iron to shape. She even wore finger tip mitts to protect her fingers from the amount of heat! Nope … I can’t have all that heat on my hair. I will just be antsy the entire time it’s getting done. I will just take my 2 1/2 inch rollers (just in case she doesn’t have any) and get some big curls.
4. When can I claim BSL? – The longest layers of my hair are already there. Actually, the longest lengths are about 1.5-2 inches from MBL. I was reading on Long Hair Care Forum that one can claim BSL when the hair hits in … so dammit. I am claiming it!!!!!! I will post pics tomorrow!
Greetings guys. It is early in the AM and this is when I do my best thinking! I thought that I would document a few of my goals for this relaxer cycle, set to end in May or early June (depends on my travel schedule)! Even though the longest parts of my hair are already past BSL, I still consider myself to be “BSL-bound,” just an FYI. 😉
- Roller set more! – The vast majority of my last relaxer cycle was dedicated to air drying, but I noticed that my hair seems to do better when it is dried by either rolling setting or flat ironing. I bought some additional 2 1/2 inch rollers yesterday so that I can use them all over my head. Drying time will definitely be reduced with these big boys!
- Deep condition (using steam method) with each wash day – I already do this for the most part, but the longer my hair gets, the older these ends are and they will definitely need to be shown some love! I would like to start incorporating oils into my DC routine.
- Get a trim! – This is probably going to happen mid-relaxer cycle in late March or early April. I will probably do a blow dry and flat iron to see the length, then trim about half an inch. If I can retain just 1 inch of length this relaxer cycle, I will be very happy, as that would definitely have me making my goal of BSL by May.
- Continue what I am doing, tweak as necessary – I must say, I am quite pleased with the results from my hard work the past 14 months. My hair is longer than it has been in my entire adult life and I know that MBL and waist length are on the horizon! I sometimes ponder if I will continue to grow past waist length, but probably not, as I do not see the need to do so! I think that it will be too long and much to hard for me to handle. An inch past waist length (if I am so lucky to make it) will probably be as far as I go.
Well there you have it. At this point in my HHJ, I almost feel like I am on auto-pilot. For the most part, I feel that I am doing the right things and that my hair is flourishing because of it (if I could just get the ends under control ….) Like I mentioned in my post, this is the first time in my HHJ that I felt that my hair was really LONG! At home, I did encounter a silly comment or two (one guy was like “you must be mixed because you have some pretty hair,” and while I was thankful for the comment, I told him anyone can have it if they want it!) Also, when I did my glorious Kate Middleton-esque roller set, my friend was like, “the people will think that it’s weave anyway … ” HAHAHA! But I did see a sister in the bar with some pretty MBL colored hair and it definitely looked like it was hers!
Today is Wash Day. Stay tuned!
As you may know, my favorite way to track my progress is my trusty blue tank! I have been taking these photos periodically since last June, when my hair was about 3.5 – 4 inches away from the strap. Now I am proud to show that my hair is now touching it!
For some reason, I didn’t think my hair had made too much progress since December (I have had to dust my hair about 3xs … but very minute amounts that probably doesn’t total an inch) until I had Nathan take a picture … but yep, there is progress!
June 2012 July 2012
September 2012 October 2012
December 2012 February 2013
I washed my hair today using Alberto V-05 (I like to use this stuff as a light clarifying shampoo) and my Alterna Life shampoo. I conditioned with Ion Extreme Moisture Cream (review to come) and did a final rinse with … Continue reading