Greetings guys! Hope your week is going well! Friday is just around the corner! Hooray! I just finished watching “Healthy Textures’ Guide to Rollersetting” (available through Amazon Instant Video for $19.99). I remember reading about this lady, named Gennifer, in the prologue … Continue reading
As everyone knows, I love my Alterna products. I have been using them off and on for the past five years and consistently for the past three years. Two of my [black] stylists highly recommended these products. I remember at first being like “Those are products for white people!” to which Tammy replied, “They are for ALL people!”
These products are amazing and I cannot say enough about them and how they have helped the health of my hair. I know some people can grow long hair with cheapie products, but I have to have these products. They cost a lot, but to me, healthy hair is definitely worth it. I recommend them to people who are experiencing any type of hair malady. You can get travel sizes for a decent price online or try the Caviar Experience Kit for about $30 at Ulta or Sephora. I buy most of my Alterna products online or at Ulta (as you can use their handy coupons on them and save yourself some money!)
Here are the products that I use from left to right: Alterna Life Solutions Scalp Therapy shampoo, Alterna Life Solutions Clarifying Shampoo, Alterna Caviar Shampoo, Alterna Caviar Moisturizing conditioner, Alterna Caviar Overnight Repair, Alterna 10 Hair Masque (in front), Alterna Caviar Texture cream (in back), Alterna Perfect Blowout Creme, Alterna Caviar Photo Denfense, Alterna White Truffle Elixir Hair Repair, Alterna Caviar Working Hair Spray, Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Polishing Serum
NOTE: I buy these products with my own money and am in no way compensated by Alterna (though I which I was … free products would be great!) 😮
Hi. My name is LaShanda. I am recovering product junkie (pj).
I am almost three months into my journey (ok, so maybe time does fly when you are having fun!) and reflecting on my journey this far. I think the biggest external factor (meaning that it does not relate physically to my hair) is my product junkiness. I remember when I first started this journey and was reading countless blogs. Each blogger had their own panacea(s) of what helped their hair, what we should buy, blah blah blah. Well, a newbie to this journey I did just that, bought products that others touted. Ah, how can I forget coconut oil that ravaged my ends or the Hawaiian Silky that dried them out?
But hey, isn’t that what a journey is for? Seeing what works (this saying feels like déjà vu!)
Well, I may have found a round of products that works for me (they were here all along … Yay for Alterna!), but that still doesn’t mean that I have fully recovered from my pj ways. I catch myself lurking the hair care aisles for new products to try … Just to see if they work like others say they do. What if I am missing out on something?? For instance, there is Herbal Essences Split End mender (formerly known as Long Term Relationship). I have heard mixed reviews on how good it is … But I am itching to try it! But I remind myself to stick with what I know … And has been proven effective for me.
So what are some of my identified pros and cons of being a pj?
1. You try new products that may be perfect for your hair.
2. You are able to write reviews about the product and help others who are thinking about using it.
1. Spending money on these products.
2. Using a product that causes a setback.
3. Having an inconsistent routine can hinder hair growth and hair.
4. Using too many products can make identifying ineffective ones harder.
5. Spending money on these products.
Well, to any recovering pjs out there, you are not alone! Stay strong and think about this … “if it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it!!”
So I wanted to establish my hair products at the baseline of my journey. I am definitely an Alterna girl. I LOVE their Caviar line. It has always performed really well on my hair. I have had various stylist use it in my hair. I also really like Redken products, especially the All-Soft line. It is a great way to soften and detangle those unruly hairs!
If you look at the prices of some of the products, they make you want to scream. I know that they are pricey, but some of them I have had forever, as a dab will do you since they are so concentrated. I also see healthy hair as an investment! Since I am no longer spending money at a salon, I can use that money and invest in the best haircare products that work for me!
So here’s my regiment … Which I am sure will change over the course of my journey! But here is a snapshot of what I do now.
– Alterna Life shampoo: I love this shampoo! It cleanses well and makes my scalp tingle!!!
– Redken Time Reset: This shampoo is supposed to undo the damage that the environment, chemical treatment and age does to hair. I must say, I am not really that into it, but it does the job.
– Alterna Caviar: THE BEST CONDITIONER!!!!! It makes my hair so soft and has great detangling properties.
– Redken All-Soft: Another awesome conditioner. Contains gold camelina, avocado oil, olive oil and silk amino acids that really soften my hair.
Leave ins and Prep
I cocktail all of these together … using a minute amount of each. These products are highly concentrated and using too much can leave your hair weighed down.
– Elasta QP Recovery: Adds moisture to my hair! Aids in restoring elasticity and is fortified with extracts of birch, chamomile, rosemary and emolient coconut oil.
– Redken Extreme Anti-Snap: A protein leave-in that is safe enough for weekly use. It also contains a heat protectant, which is a double bonus!! I use this mainly on my ends and new growth, which is prone to “snapping” off!
– Alterna Caviar White Truffle Hair Elixir – Has a UV protectant (which was extremely important when I lived in Hawaii … now that I am in Oregon, eh, not so much) as well as thermal protectant properties. It also helps soften and shine hair. I use about two pumps of this in my cocktail.
– Alterna Caviar Perfect Blow Out Creme – AH! Perfect for those blow outs (which I do all the time … which will soon come to an end … ) I also plan on using this as a setting creme. Really straightens hair and has thermal protectant properties!
– FHI Hot Sauce – Hot Sauce! Hot Diggity Sauce! (OK … not funny!) This is for the sheer thermal protection of my hair.
– Alterna Caviar Polishing Serum – A lightweight formula that I put on before I flat iron. Leaves hair shiny, but does not weigh it down.
– Alterna Caviar Hair Spray – Very light hairspray; non-sticky. I use this as needed!