Last Saturday I finally tried the black tea rinse (btr) during my Wash Day festivities! BTRs are a common way to reduce shedding, as caffeine from the tea blocks DHT, which is the chemical that is responsible for hair shedding.
I was very pleased with the results! I did still see shed hair when I rinsed it out and during my roller setting, but it was a lot less. However, the real results were apparent throughout the week. I lost very few hairs during the week, whether through finger combing or combing with a regular comb! I have spread the good news of the btr with my friends, so hopefully they will try them as well! I will be incorporating this into my regimen as needed …as I do not have a lot of shedding in the first place. I just wanted to try it out and see what the fuss was about … And now I know!
Here’s how I did mine … I will take pictures the next time. When it comes to types of tea to use, I just used regular black tea … It was 100 bags for 1.50. Some people like to use green tea, chai tea or whatever, but black tea works just as well. Just make sure it’s caffeinated.
1. Brew tea (make sure it’s caffeinated, as it’s the caffeine that blocks the chemical responsible for shedding). I used 6 oz for each bag of tea and I used 4 bags.
2. Let cool overnight or for a few hours. Some people throw ice cubes in theirs to make it cool faster. DO NOT USE TEA HOT!!!
3. Once cool, put some tea in a bottle with a nozzle. Apply tea directly to scalp, as thats where the shed hair comes from! If you don’t have a bottle with a nozzle, apply the tea as close to the scalp as possible.
4. Using the left over tea, I pour it all over my hair.
5. I clip up hair and leave on for 20-30 minutes, covering with plastic baggy. Note: black tea can stain … Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting a bit soiled!!
6. Rinse out with cool water … Follow up immediately with deep conditioning treatment, as the tea can be drying to hair.
I hear that this can also be done with coffee .. I am not sure how that works, but maybe I will try it soon!!