I wanted to share some good news … my hair ends are doing better! I have seen a dramatic reduction in the number of ends snapping off. They even look better and more moisturized!
I am stoked when I run my moisturizer through my hair and do not have a bunch of broken ends in my hands … there may be a few, but sometimes none! It really has been a ride trying to find out what works for my hair and how to retain my length!
To someone who may be facing this situation, here’s my advice:
1) Get a great water-based moisturizer and make sure it does not dry out your ends (as Hawaiian Silky did for me)
2) Experiment with what sealing oils works best for your hair (coconut oil did my hair no justice, just dried it out).
- I have heard hemp oil is great for this, but at this time, I am buying no more oils.
3) Deep condition or steam every week – no exception!
4) M&S your hair in sections, so that each section gets adequate moisture. I do mine in 4s.
5) Use a great moisturizing conditioner
6) Co-wash sometimes! It really helps infuse and retain moisture!
7) Wear protective styles!
8) Dry your hair with a microfiber towel or t-shirt … never “ruffle” the hair, just pretend that you are milking it and squeezing out excess water
9) Reduce the amount of direct heat (blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons, pressing combs) used (duh … that’s why my ends were as crispy as KFC chicken in the first place)
10) Do a good dusting!
11) Use a silk or satin scarf and pillowcase (as you can never be too careful!)
12) Give it a good 2 or 3 months for ends to improve.
13) Find a good protein/moisture balance!